Our students have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of petroleum exploration and to acquire practical experience in the context of their research. Many of our students also gain valuable on-the-job experience with energy companies through summer internship opportunities.
SPECIALTY AREAS INCLUDE:
- Petroleum Geology (Toro and Carr)
- Geochronology (Toro and Weislogel)
- Stratigraphy, Sedimentation, and Sedimentary Petrology (Benison and Weislogel)
- Structure and Tectonics (Toro, Gao, and Wilson )
- 3D Seismic Attribute Analysis (Gao)
- Geophysics (Wilson and Gao)
- Integrated 3D Seismic and Microseismic (Wilson)
- Carbon Sequestration (Carr, Weislogel, Wilson and Gao)
- GIS and Remote Sensing (Warner)
We use both traditional field and subsurface research methods, as well as state-of-the-art software tools and technology. Several of our faculty have experience working for major oil and gas companies and maintain on-going research collaborations. We also have research projects supported by the DOE National Energy Technology Laboratory located here in Morgantown.
The masters degree is the professional degree in demand by the energy industry. Every year we admit about a dozen graduate students. 100% of our M. S. and Ph. D. graduates have found lucrative employment as professional geologists across the energy industry.
In 2008, a team of our students reached the top five in the world in the AAPG Imperial Barrel competition.
Click here for details on WVU’s Advanced Energy Initiative